Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sunshiney Lemon Bars

I locked myself out of my apartment last weekend ;_;. I do leave a spare with a buddy but I used the spare last week when I left the keys at my aunts so I hadn't returned them to her. I had to study pharm over at CrystAlLine (3 friends that are roommates) on a borrowed laptop. Landlord managed to call the next day and he let me in. To thank my favorite ladies I made Lemon bars!
 Ok so not the prettiest picture. I don't have any pics of the lemon bar out of the pan ah well. 

It's been pretty gloomy this week so I thought they yellow and citrus could make up for it a little. That and I asked one of the gals what she likes to eat haha. Recipe came from who manages to take such lovely pictures. My pics put the recipe to shame but it was still really really tasty. Also note that this is a lighter recipe so only 190 cal per 3x3 in square (ok I dunno if that calorie count is good or bad but I do know that this recipe does not use a whole stick of butter and has less at least 1 egg yolk). The other reason I chose this recipe was because I happy to be a fan of America's Test Kitchen!

copy/pasted from Patty's food, my comments in bold
Ingredients and Directions for Meyer Lemon Bar Cookies with Rosemary
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen Light & Healthy 2012

For the crust
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits and chilled
1 tablespoon low fat vanilla yogurt

For the filling
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg and 1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
6 tablespoons lemon juice from 2-3 Meyer lemons
1 tablespoon powdered sugar(for dusting on top)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare an 8" square pan by lightly spraying the inside of the pan with baking spray before lining it with 2 long sheets of aluminum foil folded to fit inside and placed perpendicular to each other in the pan.  Cut the sheets long enough to hang over the sides to use as handles to lift out the baked lemon bars before cutting into squares.  Spray the inside of foil lined pan with baking spray. I used a 9 in diameter cake pan because that was the closest thing I had in terms of area to the 8in square pan. I did not spray the inside of the pan and it was fine with the foil, kinda which I remembered to spray the foil haha. My lemon bars were quite flat so I would next time make more dough or use a smaller pan.

Please note- this is an extra step that I think gives the bar a more lemony flavor- in a small bowl mix the lemon zest into the granulated sugar for the filling and set aside. Do it, if nothing else it smells soooo good.

For the crust process the flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, rosemary, baking powder and salt until well combined.  Add all the butter and vanilla yogurt to the flour mixture at once and pulse at least a dozen times before turning out into the prepared pan and pressing into an even layer.  See photo below (footprints in the sand!) notice the size of the butter pieces, they can be fairly big and press into a nice buttery but light crust.

I dunno why mine was so much more dough like than in Patty's but it was still good when I ate it. Most likely I pulsed it more/longer? I didn't put any rosemary in it because I didn't have any. I don't generally like rosemary but I think it would be very nice here.



So this is proof that I need a new food processor. It's just too small. AND THERE'S FLOUR EVERYWHERE. It doesn't work for what things either because of a stupid hole placement in the center of the bowl for the blade. rant over.

Bake until evenly browned about 20 minutes.  Cool the crust on a metal rack for at least 20 minutes.  Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.

The edges got a littler darker than the middle, I didn't think this was the brownest but I felt like this was done.
Prepare the filling by whisking together the eggs, granulated sugar mixed with lemon zest, flour and the salt in a medium bowl. Stir in the lemon juice and pour over the cooled crust.  Bake until filling is set- about 20 minutes.  Cool completely on a metal rack before lifting the bars out of the pan with the foil.  Cut into 9 squares(190 calories each) and dust with confectioners sugar.
Makes 9 bars

 
Ooh shiny pool. I made a mistake here and shoved the lemon juice in at the beginning because I wasn't paying attention. Also, I didn't wait for the crust to cool all the way because it was late and I wanted to finish so I could sleep. I don't like that I had the filling so ready before I poured it in cuz I didn't know if it sitting would affect anything. 

They were quite tasty and I don't even like lemon sweets that much. If I did the filling correctly I wonder if it would make the filling less sticky. Either way I liked these, light crust and sweet lemony filling. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment